memory installation

bob308w 08:02 14 Jan 06

I have purchased a new memory card, the problem being where to plug it in. The board in the pc has two red and two blue positions . One blue has memory already in it, if I put the new in the other blue position i get a blank screen, if i put it in the red position adjacent to the existing memory i get a blank screen. What am I doing wrong? or is the new memory (PCW 512mb) faulty?

Diemmess 09:38 14 Jan 06

More likely a mismatch.

It is vital to match the type of memory with the motherboard.
If your manual doesn't state the type required, you need to ask the computer vendor (PC World) about the specification.
There is software(Everest) which you could download and will give every sort of detail about your computer, unfortunately now discontinued, but others may know of a substitute.

Diemmess 09:44 14 Jan 06

If no one comes up with a better idea and you would like a copy of the now discontinued download, e-mail me and I will attach the zipped file as I once downloaded it.

bob308w 10:01 14 Jan 06

new memory appears to be the same as installed, which slot should the new be installed in, DDR2, 3, or 4? and can I check that the new is ok by removing the existing and replacing it with the new?

wee eddie 10:06 14 Jan 06

Where did you buy your new Memory Card and how did you go about deciding what type of Memory to buy?

Diemmess 10:10 14 Jan 06

Yes. Probably the best way to check the new is to (temporarily) replace the existing, with it.

ed-0 10:24 14 Jan 06

Everest home is still available for download from major geeks click here

Don't know for how long though?

bob308w 10:27 14 Jan 06

Ok, every thing seems to work ok with the new replacing the existing (in blue slot,DDR1)), which slot should the new be installed in, DDR2(red),3 (blue)or 4(red)?

Diemmess 10:47 14 Jan 06

I dont know the answer.
Hopefully, someone else will tell you.
Failing that if it is a PCWorld computer they will tell you.

Otherwise you must trawl the mobo type and number in Google and see if you can find a motherboard manual there

ed-0 11:01 14 Jan 06

have you tried leaving the new memory card in the first slot and then trying your old memory card in the other ( 2 + 3 + 4 ) memory slots.

It may be that your old memory is slower and not as big ( 512Mb)as your new memory.

wee eddie 11:08 14 Jan 06

It would help to know what Type and Model of PC was involved, as we are discussing this without a scooby.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…