memory and hard drive capacity for tiny computers

ARTY DAN 10:40 26 Nov 05

My friend has a tiny computer he bought it in 2000, it had windows 98 on, he wanted to install windows xp professional he did so but what happened was windows xp professional merged with with windows 98, he said he went in to word, excel, and front page they were all windows xp professional but the other parts were windows 98, strange. I suggested it could be a virus then I suggested it could be a lack of memory which has caused this problem I asked my other friend if he had any ideas he said to look on google which I did, found the right website for upgrading from windows 98 to windows xp professional it has all the information, but does not have the system requirements, looked on microsoft website, system requirements are as follows

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

• 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

• Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

• CD-ROM or DVD drive

• Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

My friend with the problem has looked in add/remove programs, windows xp professional is there but not windows 98, I thought of something on the microsoft website, system requirements 128mb recommnded or higher.
I am guessing his computer has only 128 mb ram and this is causing the problem he has enough hard drive capacity.
Does anyone know what the standard memory for tiny computers of that time was, and if it is low memory definitely causing the problem.
He has ran his anti virus and it hasn't picked up anything.

arty dan

bremner 10:45 26 Nov 05

Your friend can not have a mixed XP/98 operating system.

What do they mean that word/excel etc are XP Professional?. They are an Office application running on whatever o/s has loaded.

The machine will boot to an operating system. Get your friend to right click on My Computer and choose properties. It will tell them what O/S is loaded.

128MB is not practically enough memory to run XP Pro. 256MB is absolute minimum and 512MB better.

DieSse 11:14 26 Nov 05

As Bremner has said, your friend may be confused. They can have WINDOWS 98 and OFFICE XP Pro on their system together.

WINDOWS is the Operating System

OFFICE is the Word processing etc program.

You will never find WINDOWS in the Add/Remove programs - but you will find OFFICE there.

So I don't see that they actualy have a problem - other than 128Mb memory which is OK, if a bit low for Win98 and also bit low for a fully featured Office Pro suite.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…