Memory Dump

chaztait 19:48 25 Jun 09

Hi, i got my laptop about 2 weeks ago,and every now and again a blue screen will come up saying something about a memory dump. I have a HP laptop running vista premium. Its got 2GB ram and a 1.9 AMD Athlon 64 processor.

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem ?

It can happen a couple of times in one day.

Thanks

chaztait

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:19 25 Jun 09

"i got my laptop about 2 weeks ago"

take it back!!

chaztait 20:30 27 Jun 09

i have done a memory test and it says its ok. the screen is only up for a couple of seconds, but it says something about diabling something in the BIOS menu. And for some reason i cant get into the BIOS. Tried F5 8 10 etc at startup and it wont go to it. One goes to recovery.

thanks

chaztait 22:50 27 Jun 09

anyone know ???

Newuser3605 23:02 27 Jun 09

Hello,

The easiest way to get rid of it is to do a search for dumprep ( I'm not sure how to spell it) and then delete it.

chaztait 23:48 27 Jun 09

how yo you do a search on dumprep ?

Eargasm 11:07 28 Jun 09

Hi Dumprep is a Windows Error Reporting tool, it can easily be disabled ( although i'm not sure why you would want to do this as minidump files can be used to pinpoint the exact cause of BSOD's )

Right click My Computer/ Properties/ Advanced/ Statup and recovery/ Settings/ System Failure untick " Write an event to the system log"

kidsis 11:15 28 Jun 09

as for BIOS, you could also try the del key as you boot, or F2.

chaztait 11:47 28 Jun 09

i managed to get into the BIOS....not alot of option compared to the BIOS menu on my other computer. Just things like, time, date, system info. Then there is a memory tetst (which i done and is ok) and a hdd test.

eargasm, when i untick "write an event to the system log" what exactly does that mean, does it prevent it from doing the memory dump and the blue screen ?

Eargasm 12:11 28 Jun 09

Have a look here it is slightly different than my instructions and it will stop the blue screen, however i would personally use the minidump file and the windows debugging tool to find what is causing the blue screen.

click here

Eargasm 12:26 28 Jun 09

This might be a useful read for you as to analyzing memory dumps, note if you run Ccleaner this will erase all your minidump files by default so you will have to untick "memory dumps" under system in ccleaner.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…