Memory doubled but but

donmar 17:55 22 Jul 07

I have Vista Home Premium and recently increased Ram from 1 to 2 Gigs. The computer sees the 2Gs of memory but when I have it working hard it will use 1g and then hang.Freemem Pro reports that it is using 1 gig of 2gigs when it hangs.
I cannot get it to use more than 1 Gig. I have an Athlon Turion 64x2 1.8 processor.

Please has anyone any ideas? What have I failed to do?

Don

Totally-braindead 19:00 22 Jul 07

I don't think theres anything you've failed to do. As far as I know you plug it in and it works you shouldn't have to alter anything. I would try running memtest and see if it finds anything, its on the latest DVD on the mag I think or you can download it.

I suspect either the new memory has a fault or its not exactly compatible with the board, it has a slight difference and that is stopping it working properly.

Can I ask where you bought the memory and how you decided it was the right stuff as some boards are very touchy about what you can use?

donmar 11:21 25 Jul 07

Have been trying to get back to you but the site kept locking me out.It seems my problem was with freemempro which I had not adjusted after I installed the memory. All seems ok now and thanks a lot for helping me.
Don

try using it with just the new ram, faulty ram can be very intermitent, i mean the good ram can carry it to some extent. i had very occasional problems, but when i tried the ram 1 by 1 the fautly ram wouldnt even start the pc.

donmar 13:48 25 Jul 07

Have been trying to get back to you but the site kept locking me out.It seems my problem was with freemempro which I had not adjusted after I installed the memory. All seems ok now and thanks a lot for helping me.
Don

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…