Memory Defragging

MIKE 21:20 19 Jul 04

Hi guys I was watching QVC the other day Small Office Home Office. (Don't say anything I know I lead a very dull life). The show was demonstrating a Memory Defraging programme it was designed to allow memory once used to be freed up. My question is there any need for such a programme as I did not realise you could defrag memory. Could anyone confirm memory can or should be defragged.

CurlyWhirly 21:24 19 Jul 04

MIKE

I don't know about Windows 95, 98 or ME but I was under the impression that XP was quite good at releasing memory that is no longer used by programs or applications that have since been shut down.
Perhaps someone can confirm?
CW

p.s. what version of Windows are you using?

MIKE 21:29 19 Jul 04

CurlyWhirly

I am using XP pro I don't have any problems myself. I know 98SE has problems in releasing used memory but more curious re Memory defragging programmes. I suppose I wondered can memory be defragged & what benifits it would give.

stalion 21:31 19 Jul 04

don't know about defragging memory but it can be optimised click here

CurlyWhirly 21:43 19 Jul 04

MIKE

How much memory are you using?
I was using 512 mb and I have now upgraded to 1 Gb and I have no problems whatsoever as regards XP freeing up memory even when using my PC for hours on end and continually starting and closing programs.
And I would say that XP is a bit faster as well.
CW

MIKE 21:54 19 Jul 04

Thanks folks for all your ideas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos