Memory DDR or SDRAM

COUCHER 14:40 07 Feb 03

I am thinking of buying a new motherboard. The one I am drawn to is a GIGABITE 7VAXP Ultra,that should be compatible with the AMD Athlone CPU. runnig at 1002 MgH that I'm using at the moment. The question is,the new board supports DDR memory but I have over 750 mega of SDRAM memory available. Will this be compatible? As I don't want to be buying a new set of DDR if this will surfice. I'm on low income and pennies count more than a slight increase in speed to me.

L.H.F 15:01 07 Feb 03

No

DDR= Double data rate

SDRAM= naff technology

upgrade to DDR. Sell ur SDRAM on Ebay. trust me its worht doin

powerless 15:11 07 Feb 03

Read your previous threads.

click here

click here

Please tick them...

Heres the site to the motherboard in case you do not have it click here

Memory can be brought from here click here

medicine hat 15:44 07 Feb 03

Will you really benefit from a new (expensive) board if you continue to use the relatively slow components from your current system?

Gongoozler 15:48 07 Feb 03

COUCHER, there are very few new motherboards that support SDRAM. The only one I can think of is the ECS K7S5A click here. Unless you are on a very tight budget, sell your SDRAM and start afresh with DDR. An SDRAM board will severely limit the speed you can achieve when you upgrade your processor.

zanwalk 16:05 07 Feb 03

I can recommend the ECS K7S5A as I have used several in system builds, it supports both types of memory, so that you could upgrade to DDR later on if you wished to. It is also a very competitively priced board especially from here:

click here

COUCHER 16:11 07 Feb 03

I'll have to save up then won't I. I'll be back in six months to let you know how I've got on.
Perhaps I can get the ECS board and upgrade to DDR when I can afford it, though at the price at the above link I could possibly get enough together now. Thats if that is the price for just one board. But i'll have to have a closer look at the specs first.
Thanks for your help...

Stuartli 16:55 07 Feb 03

Here's info on DDRAM and the fact it won't fit SDRAM slots:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…