Memory Congiguration Problem

jaycup 10:42 15 Jan 09

I have just bought 2 x 1Gb. additional Memory Sticks (Corsair XMS DDR2), this will match the two already installed in my self build computer, making a total of 4Gb. My current configuration is 'dual-memory'. I am running XP Pro (32Bit) and I already know that this will only use 3Gb in total. I need advice as to the following.

1. Am I wasting 1Gb.of memory in my proposed new configuration.

2. If I only install one more 'stick' will this have an adverse effect on my existing 'dual' set-up

3. Would the best solution be to install the additional two sticks in another dual-memory configuration.

Hope I have made my 'dilemma' clear.

AndySD 10:53 15 Jan 09

Install it as Duel.
Thats how mine is set up with no problems.

DieSse 13:02 15 Jan 09

"Am I wasting 1Gb.of memory in my proposed new configuration."

Yes. Though you may get more than 3GB - it depends on your exact hardware configuration.

"If I only install one more 'stick' will this have an adverse effect on my existing 'dual' set-up."

Yes - it won't run in dual mode (probably).

"Would the best solution be to install the additional two sticks in another dual-memory configuration."

You could get 2x 512MB sticks instead. But if it was me I would get the 2x1GB and accept the loss of some of it.

jaycup 14:24 15 Jan 09

Thank you both very much for the prompt and helpful advice, it confirms what I thought I should do. I will install both modules and hope I get about 3.3Gb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009