Memory compatability

shadowmiska 17:14 17 Jul 03

I've just had my PC Hard drive wiped, as we had too many problems with runing the pc.

We decided to start again. All stuff was backed up by local shop, who formatted hard drive and installed Windows XP Home, in place of ME which we did not find to be very good.

Question:

man in local shop said that one of our sticks of memory, a MATRIX branded product, was causing problems and was NOT compatible with our new XP system. he removed it so as not to conflict with the updates he had done for us, saying that if we put it back in it would cock-up our system again!
He said to make sure we get a quality branded stick if we needed to upgrade our memory.

Memory is currenlty 128, but we need it to be at least another 256 or greater.
Don't know what mother board we have, but the system is a Dell Dimension 4100 about 2 1/2 years old.

The Matrix stick was compatible in that it was pc133 168 bit sdram.

Can anyone tell me if what i am being told is correct?

If it is, and i need to upgrade my memory, what branded products should i go for, and can anyone tell me what my mother board will take in terms of capacity of memory, or where i can find out?

Phew!

Thanks
Rob.

VoG II 17:18 17 Jul 03

Get click here - it will tell you what model of motherboard you have.

Then click here to find out what is compatible.

shadowmiska 01:38 18 Jul 03

Cheers m8

Good info and so easy to follow!

that belarc thing is boss.

hugh-265156 01:43 18 Jul 03

belarc is good no doubt.try this click here for even more info on your system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…