mega problems

mermaid25 22:05 19 May 09

have updated my AVG internet security (paid for) to 8.5 and proceeded to do daughters laptop too.
Well...her avg 7.5 icon was greyed out so had a look and firewall was deactived and i couldn't activate it. updates wre not functional either .
managed to download and install 8.5 from the website. couldn't run it in normal mode only safe mode. it found lots of enties and some were moved to vius vault. there are loads of popups and windows keep appearing saying a name and then bad image. ( sorry to be so vague but there are so many) managed to run spybot and it found a few things and deleted them but could not update that either
I think I need to maybe run hijack this but unsure where to download from and to post result.

thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:14 19 May 09

Download free version of malware bytes click here update and scan in safe mode.

mermaid25 22:23 19 May 09

thanks Fruit Bat/\0/\

thought I'd try that whilst i was waiting...running a scan on laptop as I reply to you!..

mermaid25 22:44 19 May 09

no changeafter the scan, although it did find several trojans and removed them.
Daughter has suggested we reinstall windows and start again. she has most of her school work backed up, so only has to back up the latest stuff.
Told me she has had these pop ups for ages but thought it was normal. But she wouldn't download a windows update because it didn't look real.
Have now put her right about a few things.

woodchip 00:10 20 May 09

When Restoring Backups, it may put all the nasties back on. so be aware of it

woodchip 00:11 20 May 09

PS I would suggest to check backups before restoring them, with AV etc

birdface 00:35 20 May 09

If she has messenger plus downloaded.Remove that and you may get rid of the pop ups.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017