Medion Wireless LAN Router

Gaz W 00:09 31 Aug 05

Hi,

I was trying to install one of these (from Aldi) for a friend last week. It was all set up, but the wireless aspect of it doesn't seem to work. The desktop PC is also a Medion and has a wireless network adapter installed (at least according to Device Manager and the list of network connections in Windows XP Home)

I also noticed that when trying to install the USB dongle on the laptop computer, which also runs XP Home, that it wouldn't install properly. Windows detected it and it even had an IP address which I assume came from the router (192.168.0.xxx). This was also the case on the desktop, although I don't know where the wireless adapter was, as there was no PCI card with an aerial sticking out as I am used to seeing.

However, when I try to install the dongle using the driver CD from Medion, it won't, as it says the hardware isn't present/installed, even though it is and is already detected!

All that's possible now though is to connect the desktop PC to the router using Ethernet cable (defeating the object of wireless), and this gets Internet. I haven't tried connecting the laptop with cable yet, and all I can think of at the moment is something that has just occurred to me: would I need to disable the ethernet adapter on the desktop, as it seems to have an IP address (also 192.168.0.xxx, but obviously a different address) and maybe Windows is getting confused. If I disable that, maybe it would try and use the wireless connection.

If anything needs clarifying I'll try and explain... quite a long posting and I'm not sure I've worded it brilliantly, but it is past midnight!

Any help would be much appreciated,

Gaz

Strawballs 00:24 31 Aug 05

Initially you will have to connect 1 of the machines to the router by wire to access its setup (look in the instructions usually web based) to setup the wireless network give it a name make sure the ssid is on and set up encryption.

Gaz W 00:31 31 Aug 05

Hi, thanks for the quick reply

The way it seemed to work suggested that there wasn't a web-based setup. I didn't notice any mention of it in the manual (no address to go to in browser) but I could have another look.

It did have all of that you mentioned in the setup on the disc, but maybe I need to run that on the desktop PC.

Anyway with that information I'll have another look tomorrow and see what I can find.

Cheers,

Gaz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…