Medion MD8000 again!!

1933 09:58 11 Apr 06

Thanks to those who made suggestions re my previos questions about my sound. However I still have no sound or USB2 (USB1 is OK). Medion tech support suggests that the sound problem is on the main board - but I have my doubts on this as the USB2 should work. AS I had to fit a new hard drive I lost all the RETTEN files that are normally used for recovery. Is it possible that these files would normally set up the sound and USB2 if used for recovery? If so has anyone any ideas where I can get a copy of these RETTEN files? Medion cannot help, or will not. In all respects the machine is running fine. Many thanks again Dave

Belatucadrus 10:25 11 Apr 06

Have you installed service pack 2 ?

1933 10:32 11 Apr 06

Thanks Belatucadrus SP2 is installed

Belatucadrus 11:20 11 Apr 06

With SP2 it should work. Check that the USB 2.0 controller and Audio are enabled in the BIOS. Probably in the Integrated peripherals subsection.
To access the BIOS, usually hit delete key as the PC boots, apologies if I'm stating the obvious or going over old ground.

Belatucadrus 11:29 11 Apr 06

click here may also be of some use, though I doubt they've got the RETTEN files.

Sharpamatt 11:51 11 Apr 06

Mine is an older Medion but the same basic facts should apply.

The system restore ( original configeration ) are all on the hard drive, If this was replaced under warrenty the correct information should have been reinstalled by whoever did the work with information that Medion supply to them.
If you still have that drive some of that information may be recoverable.

The Retten program is specific to each computer and even copying it from another drive, its unlikey it will work.

With mine was also the support and application CD which workes in conjunction with the Retten file, also on it are two folders marked Tools and Drivers.

This information is also listed on Medions Website on which you enter the information from the back of your computer to get the correct drivers.

There is no way I know of that the retten folder can either be recovered or used from another scource

The basic O/S should be on another disc I had marked Product Recover, which is a basic OEM version of XP without drivers.

With any upgrade such as SP2 this will not get these working, and any request for a disc will only look for that upgrade not the original

I would suggest that first you have both Tools and Drivers handy( even if you download from Medion.

I would look in add remove programs to SEE if the audio drivers have been installed

The from device manager look for any question markes indicationg a problem.

In the USB and Soundcard related areas Update the drivers selecting the specifict option and directing the system to wherever you have the drivers located this will be a starting point.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…