Medion Laptop MIM2080

Pidder 14:32 30 Nov 05

Does anyone who has the Medion Notebook MIM2080 which Woolworths have been selling recently use the Wireless LAN option? I have recently been trying this although I don't have another PC with wireless. However I expected that when switching the W LAN option on by pressing Fn and F1 together the indicator light would come on indicating that it was operating. The light does not come on but I get a bleep. Device Manager tells me the device is operating o.k. Is there anything else I should do or does the light only come on when the system is actually operating? Thanks for any advices.

Diodorus Siculus 14:36 30 Nov 05

The easiesy way to tell if it works is to try to connect to a wireless network.

Like you, I would have expected the LED to light up.

woodchip 14:53 30 Nov 05

i think you will find that the light comes on when you connect to a wireless gateway

Pidder 18:32 30 Nov 05

Hello both, apologies for the delay in coming back, I have now noticed that the light illuminates momentarily when I first switch on the Laptop so it is clearly connected and operative. I shall have to follow DS's suggestion and try to connect to a gateway to test it that way.

woodchip 18:34 30 Nov 05

The settings in the Laptop have to be same as Gateway router to connect, like MAC address SSID and Password

Pidder 18:41 30 Nov 05

Thanks, I shall have to gen up a bit more on this.

o2mcgovem 00:55 07 Jan 07

I have that problem! Same laptop, model and everything the same and I can't use the Wireless LAN. Like Pidder, when my laptop starts the LED lights up but nothing happens. If I press Fn + F1 (which is supposed to turn on the WLAN), it beeps... but nothing happens.

I know this was posted a while ago, but can anyone help me out? Please?

Weskit 20:39 07 Jan 07

Hello, this was my thread under another alias. I later found that the laptop did not in fact have a wireless card fitted. I had to get a mini PCI card which plugged into a compartment underneath, the same one as contains the RAM, there is an aeriel lead that plugs into a socket on the card.

o2mcgovem 22:19 07 Jan 07

So these laptops have no wirelss card? I've contacted customer support on three seperate occasions over this, and the first time they simply told me to reinstall Windows (which I didn't do, I'd had it less than a fortnight and just transferred all my stuff over), and the second & third time they didn't reply. Shows how much they know about their products.

I was just wondering, I'm not very good with all this stuff... could you possibly point one that'd work out to me at any online shop? It'd be great.

Thanks for the help!

Weskit 11:32 08 Jan 07

Hi. I also am not all that knowledgeable in these matters, but, I got my mini PCI card on Ebay. It was described as working with any laptop and I checked with the vendor that it had an aerial connection. Quite easy to fit, after opening the compartment, two very small screws. Just be careful about static, don't touch the contacts or any part of the card except the edges.Don't think I had to instal a driver, if one is needed you should get a CD with the card. This is the sort of thing click here

o2mcgovem 18:27 08 Jan 07

Thanks! I'm going to go ahead and buy it in a minute. I don't think drivers will be a problem as there's already a "Winbond W89C33 802.11 Wireless LAN Adapter" network adapter in Device Manager, but it has an error that says it won't start. I guess that when I put it in it'll start working.

Once again, thanks. :D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…