Media Server of file share

Air_Man 08:48 22 Dec 08

I want to turn one of my old PCs into an "always on" device to store all my files and allow us to watch/listen to videos/music on any PC in the house (they're all wireless).

At the moment I can simply open a file from my main PC and watch/listen to it via a shared folder.

However, I would like to know how a "server" (specifically a media server) differs and the benefits of this approach.

Isn't a PC whose sole job is to store and "serve" files (including media files) a "server"??

Sorry - new to this whole networking thing. I have the hardware side sorted but this question has been bugging me for a while.

Thanks in advance for any help.

mgmcc 17:12 22 Dec 08

There are essentially two types of network:

(a) Peer-to-Peer and (b) Client/Server

Home networks are "peer-to-peer" with all connected computers having an equal status in the network. The fact that you elect to store all of your files in a particular computer and then "share" the relevant Folders/Drives doesn't alter the fact that it is still a "peer-to-peer" network.

In a "Client/Server" network, the client PCs will be running an operating system such as XP Pro and the Server will be running a dedicated server Operating System, such as Microsoft Small Business Server.

brundle 17:30 22 Dec 08

Home Server for media sharing etc; click here

You may not want to spend that much but the site gives lots of information.

You can turn a modded XBox or 2nd-hand PC into a media server with free XBMC; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now