Media Players - so many ? so what ?

Derek 10:56 02 Jan 05

Been in the PC user business for years and have accumulated such a variety of players.
I currently have the following FREE programmes; Quicktime,Win Media Player, Roxio Movie Creator, Nero Media Player, Real Media Player, Cyberlink Power DVD,Nero Showtime and possibly more !!System is XP Pro with near top end everything.

I've just moved into movies using my Fuji S602z and this naturally requires some programme or other to show them.
I download demo movies of musical instruments from Roland and Yamaha.
My daughter sends me a movie of the great Grand Daughter (yes I'm that old!)
I play my own keyboard recordings and play back midi/wave music from various synths and sequencers.
I play music CD's and watch some educational DVD's.

QUESTION.... Please can I use just one 'player' that does the lot, and get rid of the rest.
I'm getting fed up with having a box appearing which says something to the effect that media is not recognised or it can't play it. I then have to sort through to see what I can use to expose and run the item !! Help please.
Happy New Year everyone and Kindest Rgards Derek Miles.

ACOLYTE 11:01 02 Jan 05

One problem you may have with all the players is that they are all associated with different file types,it is possible to get a player that players all you just need the codecs installed.
As to what player that is will be down to you and your preferences.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:25 02 Jan 05

I use Windows MP10 for everything.

G

Derek 11:26 02 Jan 05

I'm bound to ask now..what do you think is the 'best' player and, what is a Codec and how are they applied.
I certainly wouldn't be averse to paying for something.
Kind regards D.

ACOLYTE 11:34 02 Jan 05

Well if it were me i would dump,real player and Quick time,and just use Nero/Roxio for cd burning
I suppose the best all rounder would be WMP 10,it play's DVDs and most format's of video/sound file,and it can sometimes,but not always download the codec you need automatically.But if you need a codec they are pretty easy to find,
click here this pack has most that you need.Other's will have there own preference i like winamp myself.

ACOLYTE 11:35 02 Jan 05

click here

You may be better here for the codec pack it has a list to show what it includes at this one.

Derek 12:39 02 Jan 05

By taking advice from Gan and Aco I've downloaded Win MP10. I'll adopt further advice reference the codecs.

Many thanks to both I'm very grateful.
Kindesr regards Derek Miles.

Epirb406 12:51 02 Jan 05

Jet audio hasn't had a mention, I love it because it can deal with real audio files and I can do away with real player which I find wants to take to much control!

Doesn't do mov files tho'.

Have a google and get the freebie, I like it so much I paid up!

Cheers, Epirb.

jagx400 16:19 02 Jan 05

Epirb406
Thanx just tried Jet Audio, looks good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…