Media Player won't open

Petulant 19:44 26 May 03

I suspect it's got something to do with Kazaa which I have been using for a few weeks. I can play my music via Kazaa but if I click on Media player it just bleeps. It's annoying cos I like burning cds from MP rather than Nero which came with my system.
Anyone had this ?
Thanks

Ironman556 23:49 26 May 03

You can't open media player at all? Or it just won't play? If you can get into media player, try the update function from the help menu.

Petulant 19:37 27 May 03

It won't open at all !!!
I can't understand why it's been fine for weeks then suddenly packed in.
It may be nothing to do with Kazaa.

kingkenny 19:45 27 May 03

What happens when you double- click a media file?

Does it still not play the file?

have u changed it as default player?

I have exactly the opposite problem at the moment. I close media player down and it continues to play music!

Ironman556 19:47 27 May 03

Try uninstalling Kazaa, see if it makes a difference. If you're not using a lite version of Kazaa then there may be some spy/adware which has affected media player. Use Ad-aware click here and Spybot S&D from click here

If that doesn't resolve anything then go to the Microsoft site and re-download and re-install Media player. (I'd have suggested re-installing media player first, but it's a larger download than Kazaa, if you're on a fast connection try either first)

Petulant 19:49 27 May 03

When I click on a file it just gives me a few seconds of the old eggtimer then bleeps - that's it!!
Only way I can play music is via Kazaa desktop!

Ironman556 00:10 28 May 03

Did you try re-installing as above?

Aother thought:
Are the filetypes associated right?

Petulant 17:44 28 May 03

Thanks for that, Ironman.
I'm not at home to try your suggestions till Friday but I'll try uninstalling Kazaa. The only thing I'm afraid of is my media files dissapearing!!

Petulant 20:35 30 May 03

I've uninstalled Kazaa after saving my music and rebooted. I've also run Adaware.
No joy !!!
I can't play music at all now.
I'm downloading Spybots then I'll give that a go.
I might download Media Player again but I don't know how to uninstall it as it doesn't show up in Add/Remove programs.

Petulant 22:56 30 May 03

Well I'm enjoying my music again!!!!
Downloaded Media player.
Dunno if I dare try Kazaa again.

Spybot seems good. Certainly found plenty to chew on!!!!

Ironman556 23:35 30 May 03

There is no way to uninstall media player (I don't know why they don't let you), so it won't appear in add/remove.

I'd leave Kazaa well alone, even the lite versions with the spyware removed as they're too open to letting viruses into your computer, and tend to cause problems and leave things behind even when you've uninstalled.

Anyway, glad you got the problem sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…