Media Player v10 and video codecs

Jim Thing 12:31 24 Aug 05

I've recently transferred some 8mm home movie films onto DVD-R, using a Panasonic HD DVD recorder. The DVD plays perfectly on a commercial DVD player, but I can't get Windows Media Player (v.10) to play it on my PC (Athlon 64 3400+, 512MB DDR, 200Gb HD).

WMP is telling me that it can't play DVD video and that I should lower my display resolution and colour quality settings (huh?). Also, at some point during an unsystematic click-around, I saw an error message to the effect that there are no video codecs on my system. On the other hand GSpot, which I downloaded after reading a suggestion in another thread (thanks) lists several screens full of the things.

I'm a totally confused beginner at this DVD frolic (and probably in the wrong forum to boot). Would some kind soul please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

TIA

Jim.

Al94 12:35 24 Aug 05

This may be of some help. I have difficulty with WMP playing certain types of video files, this freebie I find palys everything. click here

Jim Thing 12:45 24 Aug 05

Downloading vlc now. I'll post back here when I've tried it. Many thanks.

Jim Thing 12:57 24 Aug 05

Brilliant! Worked first time. Many thanks

Jim

Stuartli 18:19 24 Aug 05

Apart from the WMP9 codecs pack from the MS website (works with WMP10 as well), you could have also got the standard K-Lite audio and video codecs pack from:

click here or

click here

which covers virtually every situation.

Might try VLC..:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…