media player 9 won't play audio CDs

jaybee 20:16 21 Feb 04

Until a couple of weeks ago my Windows media player 9 (fully updated version) used to play my audio CDs with no probs. Then it would occassionally fail to play making instead a hissing and clicking noise like an old vinyl record that has finished playing and the needle is going round and round in the centre of the disc. I've checked that media player is ok to play CDs on the 'file types' tab. It also plays files that are in the media library. I know there are lots of controls with media player 9 so are there any ideas for a checklist I could work through? And how can I check the my hardware is not the cause of the problem since I can't play anything on it? BTW I have checked the forum archhive without success.
Thanks

jaybee 20:19 21 Feb 04

that media player will not play any CDs at all now and that I am running XP pro with loads of spare memory etc

GaT7 21:18 21 Feb 04

Have you tried playing CDs using any other Media player, like the RealOne, Winamp or Quintessential players?

jaybee 23:23 21 Feb 04

with Windows Media Player thanke Crossbow70. I am more troubled by an applications completely failing to perform one of its basic tasks since it means I have developed a problem that was not there a few weeks ago. Why do you ask Crossbow70?

jaybee 23:43 21 Feb 04

I have just downloaded and ran Spybot Search and Destroy. It idendtified masses of spyware/adware that I am frankly amazed at. My machine has anti-virus, firewall and internet security software and I'm pretty religious about updating it. After Spybot cleaned all this stuff out, one particular bit of which was monitoring Windows Media Player, everything seems to be back to normal.
Thanks for your interest Crossbow70.

GaT7 00:20 22 Feb 04

Hi, again Jaybee. I'm glad you've managed to solve the problem - and with Spybot!? How did you realise that Spybot may be the solution?

I initially asked if you'd tried an alternative Media player to rule out a possible CD-drive problem (to some extent, at least).

I've also had Win Media Player (WMP) problems in the past and they were specific to WMP only. Updating/changing the 'ASPI layer' did the trick for me.

Another 'anti-spy' program you may be interested in is SpywareBlaster (freeware, with regular updates) that prevents spy/adware from being installed in the first place. It may not cure all your spy/adware problems but it will greatly reduce the number of times you'll have to use Spybot and similar programs to scan your PC.

Please answer my question about Spybot if you can.

Regards, G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…