Media player 9 and 5.1 audio

3rdday 17:51 02 Feb 03

Does anyone know if it's possible to get 6-speaker output from DVD playback in Windows Media Player 9?

-pops- 17:59 02 Feb 03

Yes it is. It all depends on the DVD decoder software you have. With having this decoder software anyway, you may as well use it and forget about WMP.

3rdday 18:13 02 Feb 03

I have Power DVD, from which I can play DVD 5.1 sound, but have had certain problems with it. I wanted to see if WMP faired any better, but I haven't been able to get 6-speaker out from it at all so far. The only options for DVD sound seem to be "DOLBY SURROUND" or "Stereo". Choosing Dolby Surround doesn't seem to produce anything different to choosing Stereo - stll no output from the centre speaker.

-pops- 18:32 02 Feb 03

What is your audio setup?

Note you have to have digital audio enabled in Device Manager before you can get anything other than straightforward 2 channel stereo.

Installer. 18:35 02 Feb 03

Well I have winDvd Platinum and in MP 9's Dvd advanced options, the 5.1 opton is only there when a dvd is inserted.

Installer. 18:36 02 Feb 03

opton = option.

-pops- 18:41 02 Feb 03

Sorry, what do you use for the sounds Creative? onboard 5.1?

The digital audio I mentioned is to do with the sound system. You have to look a little into the workings of Windows to find it (not dangerous). Post back if you're unsure. I'm going in a few minutes but I'm sure someone far more expert than me will be along to continue.

3rdday 19:28 02 Feb 03

I have a Creative Audigy card. I can get 6-channel audio using Power DVD using SPDIF, so I presume my audio settings must be okay. I can't see a 5.1 audio option in MP 9's advanced options, even when there is a DVD inserted.

Stuartli 20:28 02 Feb 03

If I remember correctly WMP9 only provides 5.1 if you have the XP version, the Win98/ME etc loses out on this and some other features.

Stuartli 20:36 02 Feb 03

If you look in WMP9 Help and select Special Features, you will find all the information about audio settings such as 5.1 that are only available for XP; all the other dedicated XP features are also listed.

3rdday 20:47 02 Feb 03

Hmm ...
I've gone to Tools - Options - DVD - Advanced as it says, but the only options available there are Dolby Surround and Stereo. Choosing Dolby Surround makes no difference - still not using the centre speaker. I've checked to make sure that it's using the Audigy card and I am running Windows XP. Is it possoble that its now picking up my decoder(s)?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…