Media Player

porridge 21:22 06 May 06

I have a set of DVDs on World War 2, the BBC programmes. They play all right on my DVD player and the TV but when I try to run them on the computer with Windows Media Player I get the following message:-

Can't play this DVD because there is not a compatible decoder installed on this computer.

Can anyone explain please? What is the decoder that I need?

Thanks,

Porridge

Genius1 21:33 06 May 06

I did a search at Microsoft's website for 'media player decoders'. This page (click here) may be of some help...

SANTOS7 21:38 06 May 06

click here
Media player does not play DVD by default the K-Lite
codec pack in the link will help,good luck....

Stuartli 21:50 06 May 06

Genius1 is on the right lines and SANTOS7's recommendation of the K-Lite standard codecs pack would be supported by me if I'd posted first.

There are other links and info at the MS website for MPEG decoders. See:

click here;en;306331

click here

click here

amongst others.

Stuartli 23:01 06 May 06

There's also the XP codecs pack at:

click here

porridge 10:10 07 May 06

Thank you Genius 1, Santos 7, and Stuartli. I fear that I now have an embarrassment of riches since I cannot see the wood for the trees. I am not entirely computer ignorant but when I look at all the programs you suggest I link to I get dizzy and simply do not know what I should try out. Can you tell me which routine I need to get the DVDs to play on my computer using Media Player or anything else. The content has of course sound but then only film.

Sorry if I seem stupid, put it down to ma age.
(eighty plus)

Thak you all again.

Porridge.

porridge 10:21 07 May 06

Avast there! I just took the plunge and tried Media Player Classic and it worked. I have actually managed to get a DVD playing.

Thank you all again for your help. Brilliant!

Porridge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…