media player

pauliney 07:41 04 Apr 05

can anyone try to explain why when I start windows media player it logs on to the internet
how can I disable it form logging on it as not always done this

thanks

Stuartli 09:39 04 Apr 05

You might have "Retrieve Additional Information from the Internet" Enabled under the heading "Automatic Media Information Updates for Files" from Tools>Options>Library tab or the first two boxes have been checked under the Privacy tab.

The latter configuration is needed if you wish to update or download artist/tracks/album information.

pauliney 09:54 04 Apr 05

tried that windows media still logs on thanks for feed back
any thing else you can suggest

jbp1982 09:57 04 Apr 05

Block it through your firewall. Do you have a firewall?

pauldonovan 09:58 04 Apr 05

...are you saying you are on dial-up and it pops up the dial-up box?

Or it displays a web page? Or gives some other indication that it is connecting?

What exactly are the symptoms? That will allow us to pin it down for you.

pauliney 10:04 04 Apr 05

when I just want to listen to music I go to open window media player my pc starts to log on aol I have to then close AOL
thanks for feed back

pauliney 10:05 04 Apr 05

tried firewall in nis block all
thanks

jbp1982 10:18 04 Apr 05

appologies for double posting, if the other one comes up¬

Try removing media player thru add/remove windows components. Then check the box again and re install it.

That should allow you to follow the set up procedure again. Just make sure all options for internet retrieval are dissabled or unchecked.

Can't see where the association would come from with AOL log on, but never used AOL so I'm not sure.

HTH

SANTOS7 10:23 04 Apr 05

Open media player>tools>options>under player tab>player settings> see if connect to internet (overrides other commands) is ticked

pauliney 10:35 04 Apr 05

will I lose my saved music files if I reinstall
thanks

pauldonovan 10:35 04 Apr 05

but the site lost my post :( There are other settings such as sending your unique id off.

I'd go through all the tabs in player, privacy etc. and switch off anything related to the net.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…