Media Player 10 Hi-jacks DVD playback

bionicle 23:44 29 Jun 05

Running XP SP2
When I try to playback a DVD movie it always opens with Media Player 10. I want it to open with InterVideo WinDVD which it always used to.
How do I get it back to do this? I have opened properties on the DVD drive and set it to autoplay as desired but no change. I have re-installed Media Player and de-selected DVD playback from file types. I have opened options tab and de-selected DVD playback. If I play a DVD and close Media Player10 and then open InterVideo WinDVD the DVD plays no problem.
When I de-select the DVD playback tick box in Media Player 10 then close Options and reopen it the DVD option is ticked again.
Help!?

ashdav 00:05 30 Jun 05

You need to set Win DVD as the default player for dvds. Insert a dvd into your drive. When WMP10 starts up cancel it. Go to my computer and right click on the relevant drive. You should see an option to open with... Click on this then select WinDVD and "always do this action for this type of file".

bionicle 00:11 30 Jun 05

No joy, even if I tick the check box to autoplay WinDVD it goes straight back to media player.

bionicle 00:30 30 Jun 05

Whoops! Looks like I've sorted my own query.
Checked again the WINDVD Properties settings and there is actually a default check setting there which once checked stops WMP10 taking over.
It would have been helpful though if the Autoplay options on the drive actually did what you set them to! Thanks anyway ashdav.

ashdav 00:33 30 Jun 05

Check you're signed on as having administrator rights. You may may not have access to making changes.

ashdav 00:35 30 Jun 05

you beat me to it! Glad you got it sorted.

bionicle 00:37 30 Jun 05

Yep - changes in effect! Just went the long way round.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…