Media Centre sometimes sees TV tuner card

js.101 09:16 19 Oct 08

Can anyone help me discover why MCE works fine one moment, but not the next? Often when starting MCE, after working just fine the previous time, and going to live TV it'll say 'No signal - the tuner is being used by another program', when it isn't - MCE is the ONLY TV viewing software installed. I have gone through Set Up again and it sees that there is a twin tuner TV card present, detects the transmitters in my area and goes through the scanning process but doesn't find any services/channels.

I usually have to roll back to the last restore point for it to work again. Then i'm afraid to turn the PC off in case it fails to detect the tuner again and I have to restore yet again! You can see how frustrating that can be.

I'm running Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Intel(R) Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz with 4GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 9800 GX2, TV Card is Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-T-500. My TV signal is strong as it's drawn from a rooftop ariel and provides good reception for other devices, eg freeview digibox and Freecom USB Digi-receiver. I have not installed the TV cards OEM software for it because MCE detected it first time it was installed and worked beautifully for the first two days. Then the above problem began and I can't find a way round it except to restore, which it ridiculous I'm sure you'll agree. Why won't MCE work properly every time? Is there a setting I should adjust somewhere?

js.101 13:57 17 Nov 08

I think i may have found the solution. I googled the query and found many with the same problem. Check these links, they may work for others.

It involves going into the Administrative Tools, then Services and changing one (or more) of the MCE services to 'Local System Account', then restart the PC. So far so good, I've restarted the PC 3 times so far with no loss of signal errors and MCE seems to be wroking a treat again. (contented sigh).

click here

Although this link was for a HP/Compaq solution it seemed to work for me (running a Chillblast Fusion Juggernaut with Vista Home Premium)

See also these other links
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now