Media Centre PCs - do we need them?

coggie 10:53 05 Feb 05

Having read the article in the latest PC Advisor, it does not actually make it clear that you can't just buy XP Media Centre ( refuse to use US spelling!)as software to upgrade your PC - my understanding is that you have to buy a MC spec'd PC, which currently seem to start at about £1,000. Do we need to spend this to connect our PC media to tv's and hi-fi's etc if we have a wireless network?

I haven't really researched it much yet, but it seems that people like Pinnacle produce boxes which effectively do this. Has anyone found such a solution? I would also appreciate the input of PC Advisor on this and they may like to add this to their helpline postings in the magazine ( I can't see where to post to this from the mag. or this site).

Completealias 11:03 05 Feb 05

Must admit it down to personal choice whether or not u wish to fork out for a MCE PC or not for students with minimal space thou they could well do the job as there are all in 1. I must say thou that the mesh offering in pc advisor article look like a well spec'd and priced offering.

Like anything thou I guess theres workarounds and solutions if u want to get this conectivity but not use MCE

Storik 11:17 05 Feb 05

I am totally disinterested, but then one man's meat etc........

Can't see the point of adding a TV card etc. Although,I'm sure someone will point out the benefits.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:35 05 Feb 05

Wife tends to record over my progams on tape with soap operas.

TV card allows me to record to my hard disk. She doesn't touch the computer!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…