Media Centre Extenders, which one?

Esc4p3 21:56 08 Jun 08

I am looking at options for streaming content from my PC (o2 Broadband 8mb connection, wireless 'G' router) to the TV downstairs. Content such as BBC iPlayer, audio, video etc.

I have seen the Linksys 2100 click here which would almost certainly do the trick, but it is a bit pricey - I could almost buy a cheap laptop for that price. I have also seen click here which is much more the price I was looking to pay, but not sure it is up to the job. Could buy an xBox I suppose.

Any advice from anyone out there who owns a gadget that works well would be welcome. Tks in advance.

MCE2K5 03:21 09 Jun 08

I might be wrong, But, I don't think the BBC IPlayer will stream through the first and second devices.

I know the XBox360 doesn't, As I have one.

If you have XP or Vista Media Center, They will Stream Video, Photos, Internet Radio, Music, & TV, If you have a Compatable TV Card fitted in your PC) in conjunction with any one of those three devices (above in your Post).

Esc4p3 08:51 09 Jun 08

Should have said, I have Vista....

So I could surf the Internet on the TV?

I did wonder if iPlayer would be an issue due to drm.

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:26 09 Jun 08

Get a second hand Xbox (original), stick XBMC on it and you've got probably the best media centre around for, what, £30?

Oh, you'll need to buy a game too so £35-40

Not sure about iplayer, haven't tried it

Esc4p3 08:51 10 Jun 08

Agreed it may be the cheapest option, but it seems very techie to me. Needing a chipped xBox, compiling software, original xBox is wired networking only and it would be downstairs. I will do a bit more research.......Thanks for the suggestion TB but I think that one is beyond me, hard to please I am.

tasslehoff burrfoot 17:50 10 Jun 08

It's easy.

No chip needed, no software compilation needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…