ME - XP on resurrected PC

syslater 12:34 09 Nov 05

Hi, I've recently resurrected an old PC, roughly 5 yrs+ that had Windows ME on it originally and will purely be used as an email/internet/word only PC.

It is a Compaq DeskPro PIII 1Ghz, 384Mb RAM, 40Gb HDD. This is the list of rebuild:

1. New mini PSU- 200W (as old one was dead).
2. Flash BIOS with the latest version.
3. Clean install of XP SP2.
4. 256Mb RAM stick added.
5. Netgear Network card to add broadband wireless router for a wireless laptop.
6. Original SoundBlaster Live! replaced and latest drivers installed.
7. All latest Windows updates done.

Now, everything has been going OK and running smoothly except for the following:

When some apps have been added or windows updates have been downloaded and the PC needs to be rebooted, it switches off OK, but then hangs and doesn't restart. Occassionally it will just hang on doing very basic things like surfing the net.

Also, at the end of a Defrag, it is saying that the cluster size is 512bytes, shouldn't this be 4Kb?

Everything seems to be working OK apart from this rebooting issue & sometimes not wanting to start up. I have checked all connections. Anyone experienced this problem or know what might be going on? Thanks for looking at post in advance.

Sy

syslater 13:11 09 Nov 05

Something else that has started happening, is that every now and then it won't shut down from Start/Turn off Computer, it just gets stuck in a rebooting cycle, any ideas what is causing this?

Sy

syslater 20:45 09 Nov 05

I'm still trying all sorts on this, but to no avail, please help?

woodchip 20:54 09 Nov 05

First click here

Das Boot 21:10 09 Nov 05

Check the drivers for your graphics card

Das Boot 21:16 09 Nov 05

Check the RAM with MEMtest, you can dowload it from the microsoft site.

phil46 23:23 09 Nov 05

Sounds like you have a memory problem your computer spec is not unlike my old HP Brio
when i upgraded the memory i used was SDR None ECC i found if you don't use the correct memory
the system becomes unstable.
I found the memory i required was hard to get and i managed to get what i required from Ebay.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac