Me to XP easy is it

Hityababu 19:00 25 Apr 04

I want to upgrade from Windows ME to XP. Is it easy to do? I'm not sure what changes I would have to make to settings within the computer. Can anybody help?

VoG II 19:02 25 Apr 04

If you want to do an "over the top" upgrade it is dead simple. Put the XP disk in the drive and follow the on-screen prompts.

Before you do this check compatability click here

VoG II 19:11 25 Apr 04

click here is a better check if you're going for XP Home Edition.

holly polly 19:21 25 Apr 04

gday chaps ,firstly if your going to do the change from ME to Xp ,I would be inclined to do a fresh install ,win me is an excellent operating system but cannot compete in terms of security with xp ,if you upgrade to xp install over top you keep the same file format (fat 32 ) ok ,but for xp to have all the bells and whistles and security features ,you would in my opinion be better to format the drive after backing up anything of importance and install xp as ntfs ,my reccomendations are my personal beliefs and are not meant in any way to sway your decision ,its just that i personally hate upgrades ,they never in my opinion seem to preform as expected (far better with a clean install)
What ever you decide to do good luck sir and best wishes -

Regards -Hol Pol....

Hityababu 19:22 25 Apr 04

Thanks VoG. I'll give it a try.

Hityababu 19:26 25 Apr 04

Holly Polly

Good advice thanks. Problem is I'm a bit of a novice at all this and don't want to mess the whole thing up. So in your opinion, is it best for a novice to try what you're suggesting?

holly polly 19:43 25 Apr 04

Hi what ever you decide to do ,providing you have a full version of xp with a valid product key ,it is very easy -
firstly pop the xp cd in your cd rom drive
next reboot your computor ,and whilst rebooting hit the key to enter the bios/setup screen -this is usually the delete button all though some mobos have diffrent varients .
once you have entered the setup screen proceed to the boot sequence and change the first boot device to cd rom
exit the screen ,allow the computor to reboot and this will then enable the installation of windows xp ,follow the on screen instructions ,providing you do not want to partition your drive select all available space as one partitiion and full format in ntfs .
xp will format the drive -Be AWARE YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING -SO BACK IT UP IF IT IS IMPORTANT- and then install windows ,make sure you have your product key ready ,and on no account go online until you have the ms blast fix ,as you can easily pick up this annoying virus just by going on line ,so downloads the fix and save to a floppy or cd ,wow lots of info to take in ,but take my word for it sir it isnt really that difficult -drop us a line if you get stuck -regards -

Hol pol....

Hityababu 00:22 30 Apr 04

Hey Holly Polly, followed your directions and managed to upgrade to XP.

Many thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…