ME System Restore

Guardsman2 23:17 30 Jul 04

System Restore will not work even after Windows re-install on my ME Windows PC.
Item in PC Advisor July 2004 says to find file named wininit.ini and to delete it.
Cannot find this file but have found wininit.bak, a 1kb file and wininit, a 46kb file.
Are these the files referred to by PC Advisor and can I therefore safely delete them to try to restore my System Restore.

kjrider 23:40 30 Jul 04

ME system restore needs a patch - unless you have done an update, as it will not restore sfter Sept 2002 or summat.

Check on Microsoft for any missing updates/patches.

AubreyS 23:44 30 Jul 04

M.E. system restore, doesn't.

It never worked when I had M.E.

son-of-a-gun 00:01 31 Jul 04

kjrider
Is correct, ME sys restore does need a patch, I had the same problem with ME, this was sorted by downloading the restore update file from MS update.

Steggo 16:20 17 Aug 04

I have had the same problem on and off, and it comes and goes when I install the recommended security patches from the microsoft site.

Regards

chugby 20:58 17 Aug 04

If system restore worked before re-install likely
to be Sept 8th patch required but for info
see click here article 274092 for reference to wininit.ini file.

this previous thread click here
may also help.

You may need to create a new working directory
if all else fails.

CLONNEN 21:07 17 Aug 04

Restart your computer in Safe Mode. (Press F8 at startup)

Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders.

In the Named box, type wininit.ini.

In the Look in box, click Local hard drives, and then click Find Now.

Right-click the Wininit.ini file, click Rename, type wininit.xxx, and then click OK.

Close the Find Files window, and then run System Restore again.

If the previous steps do not resolve the problem, run the following command to repair the damaged portions of your registry:
scanreg /fix

CLONNEN 21:11 17 Aug 04

BAK files should be safe to delete if they are more than three days old.

CLONNEN 21:15 17 Aug 04

Is System Restore function actually switched on.

Right-click on My Computer and select Properties.

Click on the Performance tab (far right) and click on File Properties on the bottom left.

Click the Troubleshooting tab and untick the bottom item relating to System Restore if it isn't already unticked.

You will then be asked to restart your computer.

CLONNEN 21:19 17 Aug 04

The System Restore patch is 290700 - if you put 290700 into the search box on microsoft.com you should find the download link for it.

CLONNEN 21:26 17 Aug 04

With regard to identifying the wininit file you should turn on the Details View instead of List or Icon View. This will then show you want type of file it is in the second column.

Might be an idea to go to Tools - Folder Options - View and tick Show hidden files and folders option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…