ME hanging on setup

slowhand_1000 09:03 16 Sep 03

Hi

Thought I would have 1 last go at reinstall of ME for a friend, see previous thread

click here

Well at least I have got further than the last few goes I had. But on 'Setting up Hardware' it just hangs. At first it was at 16 mins to go, so I restarted, then it got to 15 mins and so on until now its hanging on 13 mins. Anyone any ideas ?

cheers

Jester2K II 09:10 16 Sep 03

Right. When you formatted and reinstalled Win Me did you do it with all the old cards in or are you running a minimum setup.

Always install the OS with the minimum of kit. Then once up and running add one piece at a time, test and then move to the next one.

slide 09:20 16 Sep 03

You're probably using an image disk that came from the manufacturer of the PC.
It's not a true "install" disk. Just a compressed image of the original installed system.
Remove everything besides the mouse and keyboard. Remove any added internal cards. Remove even the printer.
Has the hard drive been changed? If it's a different size than the original, you may have problems. It may never install.
The machine must be in it's original state for the install to take place.
Hopefully, you are not using the image disk from another computer. That probably won't work either.

slowhand_1000 09:34 16 Sep 03

Jester

Just as I type this the bl***y thing has finished the set up. Must have seen the big hammer coming out.

Just to finish the thread off. I didn't get to do a reformat last night. It got to late so this morning I thought I would have 1 last go at setup. I know an 'over the top' install is not the done thing, but his lad had a load of course that he really needed. At least he can now do a back up and then a format and clean install.

cheers

Jester2K II 09:37 16 Sep 03

Ahh yes sometimes it can tkae while for the Hardware Wizard to work its magic...

Still best to install one at a time...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…