John B 13:13 02 Jan 05

In a previous thread I asked about PSW.Agent.Q and mcsmss.exe which ZA detected asking for permission to connect to the net. I followed the advice given in click here
but I still have the problem. A search on Google brought me this click here
which describes exactly the problem; but I'm afraid I can't follow the solution.

Any thoughts please.

(hope the links work!)

ACOLYTE 13:17 02 Jan 05

Hi, sorry its still there, the link suggests a way to clear it but in not technical enough to help maybe the resident experts will advise,and at least this keeps the post at the top.

ACOLYTE 13:18 02 Jan 05

Yes,keep it blocked untill you get help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:33 02 Jan 05

Download and run Stinger click here

If that desn't find and remove it there are more Trojan removers :-
click here
click here
click here

John B 13:38 02 Jan 05

Cheers for the quick response and advice. I shall try the Stinger route first.

John B 14:34 02 Jan 05

Stinger did tell me it was out of date, but the link provided by stinger took me to a page which had the same version. Anyway, now I'll try Fruit Bat /\0/\'s next link.

John B 08:27 03 Jan 05

I've run all of the links provided by Fruit Bat (thanks) but no problem was found! I will continue to deny mcsmss.exe access to the net; although I am wondering if it is a legitimate piece of software given that all of the Trojan removers failed to find a problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:33 03 Jan 05

Its a Troj/Proxyser-F click here

Run Microworld click here

Delete C:\windows\system32\mcsmss.exe

Empty all temporay files in your internet cache and in any other accounts. Crap Cleaner click here is good for this.

John B 11:44 03 Jan 05

Fruit Bat /\0/\, I've run eScan Antivirus and it's found 9 virus entries. It won't delete them unless I pay (which I probably will because its the only tool that managed to find the problem).

I have tried to delete C:\windows\system32\mcsmss.exe but access is denied.

Thanks for your help.

John B 13:09 03 Jan 05

I have now deleted C:\windows\system32\mcsmss.exe by starting XP in safe mode. I also deleted a file called C:\windows\system32\bot.exe

This seems to have solved the problem, so thanks again Fruit Bat.

I am concerned about AVG; looking back through the test results AVG originally found mcsmss.exe and deleted it, but on later tests, it declared mcsmss.exe to be ok!

John B 23:08 03 Jan 05

I hope I'm not tempting fate by clicking resolved! Thanks for everyone's help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…