MCE/Vista Remote Control with Windows XP

Funktion 15:47 22 Mar 08

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody knew of any software to fully utilise Media Center remote controls with Windows XP (Pro, SP2)? I have recently 'liberated' a remote control and USB IR receiver from my sister's new Vista PC and would like to hook it up to a machine I have in my front room.

The remote itself is a Philips RC1974506/00 and the USB receiver identified by Windows (plug and play - no driver issues) as a 'Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver'. When plugged into a laptop running Vista, the remote functions flawlessly with all aspects of Vista's Media Center. However, there is extremely limited functionality with XP Pro and I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions.

I know that buying Windows Media Center Edition or Vista would solve the problem, but I'm not wanting to splash out on a new OS just for the sake of getting a remote to work. Has anybody found a freeware program similar in function to Media Center, or does anybody know of a decent plugin for WinAmp (I will be willing to start using Media Player again if that would work). It's just that when you're using a wired mouse/keyboard and your head is about a foot from the TV, things get kinda blurry......

MCE2K5 18:56 22 Mar 08

Try this MediaPortal (It's Free) click here

Funktion 23:37 24 Mar 08

That's absolutely awesome! Thanks lot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…