McAffee VirusScan problems

capnsofa 12:27 27 Nov 04

I am running Windows 98 and recently installed McAffee Virus Scan, having already downloaded McAffee Firewall from the disc in your magazine.
However, after installing VirusScan, I found the whole system very slow to start and access to programs was very sluggish. On more than one occasion, the system stopped and I had to shut down and start again.
Is this is a problem with my system or McAffee, and what can I do about it ? At the moment I have removed Virus Scan but, obviously, I would like to have this protection as soon as possible.

VoG II 12:39 27 Nov 04

Do you have any other anti-virus program installed?

wotbus@ 12:40 27 Nov 04

Hi capnsofa. I run the same AV s/w on my other PC [Me] with no slowdown problems! Have you had a good clearout lately [crapcleaner/diskeeper defrag etc].

wotbus@ 12:42 27 Nov 04

Often installinhg/uninstalling leaves loads of rubbish in the registry which can lead to slowdown.

VoG II 11:54 28 Nov 04

via e-mail

No other anti-virus software - just the McAffee Firewall already mentioned.

===============================================

capnsofa - it is best to reply using the box at the bottom of this page. The yellow envelope is for private messages.

As suggested run ccleaner click here and Diskeeper Lite click here then try installing McAfee again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…