mcafee32.exe - problem with error message

noddy2121 09:06 26 Oct 05

Hi

I am using windows xp sp 2. When i log into windows (regardless of the user account) i get an error message that reads something like

"macafee32.exe cannot be found"

There is more text that is insugnifficant.

I have been told to go to run and type "msconfig" and look in the startup tab and delete the path to

"windows/system32/mcafee32.exe"

However i can not find this path in the startup tab in msconfig.

Does anyone know why this error keeps appearing?

Help would be appreciated

Cheers

Wayne

CurlyWhirly 09:32 26 Oct 05

Have you recently uninstalled McAfee?
If so are you using an alternative?

In the Services tab, I have 4 McAfee entries:

click here

I *don't* disable any of them as I run both Mcafee Firewall and McAfee anti-virus.

Do you have similar entries?
If so I *wouldn't* recommend disabling them *if* you are actually using McAfee.

If you are using McAfee, then have you tried uninstalling it, rebooting and installing it again to see if that can correct the error?

noddy2121 09:58 26 Oct 05

Hi thanks for that suggestion, i am using avg instead of mcafee. Mcafee was uninstalled before the laptop was given to me. So as far as i can see, there is no sign of mcafee installed on the machine.

So why is this keep appearing, should i dusable all the atrtup procceses? or is this not recomended?

cheers

Wayne

CurlyWhirly 10:08 26 Oct 05

If you now have AVG running in place of your McAfee anti-virus, then I think it would be advisable to disable ALL entries in MSconfig as otherwise every time you boot the PC up, you will be plagued with these types of errors as Windows will still be trying to load these leftover files.

CurlyWhirly 10:09 26 Oct 05

p.s. ALL entries meaning all McAfee entries.

noddy2121 12:06 26 Oct 05

I have just had a look in msconfig, and i cannot see any entries for mcafee, where is it i should be looking, is it in the startup tab?

noddy2121 12:07 26 Oct 05

or will the entry be known as something else?

or could another entry be casuing this?

splork 12:57 26 Oct 05

click here will show you every possible place a program can be referred to during startup

engsurv 13:02 26 Oct 05

noddy2121
Suggest you run a "search" but "change preferences" to include "hidden files" for "all files and folders" with "all or part" of the word "McAfee"

noddy2121 14:21 26 Oct 05

Thank you for your replies people, the software didnt find anything tho! here is the full error message

"windows cannot find mcafee32.exe, make sure you typed the name correctly and try again, to search for a file click the start button and then click search"

This is the full error message that is displayed everytime i log in.

I am using windows xp home sp 2 by the way.

Please could anyone suggest anything else.

Cheers

Wayne

splork 14:27 26 Oct 05

Start Menu/Run, type regedit, search for mcafee32.exe - it will probably take a long time. Don't delete /anything/ from the registry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…