Mcafee and xp pro sp2 do they work together ?

pavel 23:28 21 Dec 04

Just intalled XP Pro with SP2 and then Mcafee version 7 (anti virus, Fire wall and spam killer)
But it is causing various error messages on startup (mcp.dll corrupt or missing) and in Outlook express another message that says oe is not default email client, but it is ?
Any one out there got a similar story and a fix, oh yes Mcafee support, don,t.
Thank you

VoG II 23:30 21 Dec 04

Uninstall then re-install the McAfee software.

Make sure that you are disconnected from the net whilst you ndo this.

no way 23:32 21 Dec 04

If you want SP" compatible alternatives, I recommend AVG antivirus from click here , AdAware for spyware removal from click here (look around for free version there) and Sygate Personal Firewall from click here (again look for the free version)

Also steer clear of Outlook Express, I suggest switching from it and Internet Explorer to Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird, you can get them for free from click here

pavel 23:33 21 Dec 04

Thank you VOG but have tried reinstall with no joy any other ideas ?
Thank joy

no way 23:35 21 Dec 04

By the way if you follow my suggestions, you are best to completely uninstall McAffee as well.

VoG II 23:35 21 Dec 04

McAfee is perfectly compatable with XP SP2 - I am posting from a puter with these installed.

pavel 23:36 21 Dec 04

Thank you no way for the tip I have that sort of set up on my lttle office network but I thought I would try mcafee, may not have been my best decision ?

no way 23:37 21 Dec 04

well whatever you do dont go out and buy Norton software - even McAffee is better than that in my opinion (no offence VoG™ :p)

pavel 23:39 21 Dec 04

Thank you VOG I too believe that Mcafee WILL work but I seem to have got it wrong somewhere, tomorrow I will try to "fully" unistall ALL elements of Mcafee including any thing left behind.
Thank you

VoG II 23:49 21 Dec 04

I totally agree with you about Norton - "no way".

Pavel - run regedit and delete every reference to McAfee then try again. If this doesn't work then no way's suggestions are eminently sensible.

pavel 18:02 22 Dec 04

Thank you for your help the problem is now solved . Uninstalled XP and the whole shebang then reloaded no problem . A bit drastic but it worked.
Thank you again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…