McAfee and Windowsxp downloads impossible

Griffon 08:08 23 Aug 03

Has anyone else been able to update WindowsXP or McAfee software recently? I'm hoping that this is due excessive requests for downloads rather than some bug having disabled my PCs ability to update. If the former, it would be good customer relations if these companies were to post a "we are currently experiencing difficulties, please try later" notice on their sites.

From Microsoft I get the following message after attemting (many times) to install the patches:

"The following items failed to install. To try installing them again, click Review and install updates, and then click Install Now again.

August 2003, Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (822925)
Security Update for Microsoft Data Access Components (823718)"

And on the McAfee update pages ... "The page you are looking for is currently unavailable." McAfee's main pages are up and running though - and they're still willing to take your money for their AV software. Mmmm!

Forum Editor 08:38 23 Aug 03

a degree of patience is called for when trying to access both the Microsoft and anti-virus company's sites at the moment.

I'm sure you can imagine the amount of work that these people have been landed with over the past week or so, and Microsoft in particular have probably been concentrating on keeping their servers online rather than posting PR messages. The anti-virus companies will have experienced abnormally high traffic rates to say the least, but they'll return to normal very rapidly.

All I can suggest is that you keep trying - you are one of millions who are doing the same thing - and you'll eventually see success. As for McAfee taking your money - surely you don't expect them to stop doing that do you? I would imagine that over the past few days quite a few people have been very glad they paid McAfee for their anti-virus software.

krypt1c 08:49 23 Aug 03

There's another thread going similar to this with some pointers click here

Griffon 09:57 23 Aug 03

I accept that exceptional circumstances can over stretch normally good services and I'm not blaming MS or McAfee for that. However, as a customer of both I shouldn't have to guess at what is causing the problem even though it might be obvious from news reports elswhere. In much the same way UK railways have realised that passengers feel ever so slightly less miffed if they know why there is a problem rather than being left with no information. Both MS and McAfee have functioning web sites so there is no excuse not to put a bulletin on the front page explaining that some people might have difficulties and why.

My comment about McAfee still taking money is more an expression of my frustration at the lack of frank information. I wonder if people who have just paid for AV software are able to download it? If not, they'll be doubly miffed.

whybe 12:08 23 Aug 03

I cannot speak for McAfee but in defence of MS(!) at this time I have been redirected to a 'Thank you' but unavailable page whilst trying for the latest downloads.

nickhick 12:15 23 Aug 03

I've had no trouble with MS and last night added another 3 critical updates to my computer, again without any trouble. This makes a total of 6 critical updates this week, for my Windows XP OS.

steve0 12:19 23 Aug 03

Both Microsoft and Norton have done auto updates in the last couple of days - no problem. I'm on broadband and it is so much better than when I was with a dialup connection. Then I used to get the same messages - especially from Norton

Cesar 10:07 24 Aug 03

I use McAfee Anti Virus, yesterday 23/8/03 and today 24/8/03 I have been notified that updates were available.

plankton 12:43 24 Aug 03

This seems to be very spurious. I spent 4 hours yesterday sorting out me father-in-law's PC, and got NO problems using dial-up by the standard routes. Perhaps there's summit else goin on out there??? Perhaps I'm just locked in to the conspiracy theory... :o)

sms 13:12 24 Aug 03

I have had the same problem with mcafee for months.xp is OK
Tried everything !!! I upgraded from 6 to 7 and since then I have NEVER been able to autoupdate Mcafee

plankton 15:36 24 Aug 03

This is V strange. My Mcafee updates EVERY time I log on !???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…