McAfee and Windows Firewalls

bpzoom 20:13 31 Mar 05

McAfee is offered free with AOL but I have not used McAfee for fear of clashes with the Windows XP built-in firewall. Does anyone use McAfee or any other firewall alongside the Windows version without conflict problems? I only ask because of recent PCA advice encouraging the use of a firewall in addition to the Windows version.

VoG II 20:15 31 Mar 05

Why not turn off the Windows firewall and use McAfee instead - it is 2-way whereas the Windows one is inbound only.

alan227 20:16 31 Mar 05

If you have SP2 installed you can switch of the windows firewall from the security centre in the control panel so they will not clash.

bpzoom 20:32 31 Mar 05

Thanks, yes I know but as PCA article said load two firewalls as a precaution I just wondered if there might be a problem. I can't remember now why I stopped the free McAfee and activated the Windows firewall.

Josie2805 21:10 31 Mar 05

Running AOL BB gold, McAfee & Windows firewall running with no problems

gudgulf 22:08 31 Mar 05

Also on AOL gold with the McAfee firewall and problems.I think you will find that the McAfee firewall will simply make itself the default one automatically, but it's a good idea to open the security centre and check that Windows' own firewall is actually turned off.

bpzoom 22:22 31 Mar 05

Thank you again.

Strawballs 00:47 01 Apr 05

I have McAfee internet suite 7 when I installed it windows firewall was turned off automatically.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…