McAfee VirusScan 8 problem on boot-up

CurlyWhirly 14:56 07 Nov 04

Hi. The last time I booted up I had the following VirusScan 8 error message:

"Some components of ActiveShield are either missing or might not have been installed properly. Please reinstall ActiveShield."

After pressing 'ok' my McAfee Security Center icon goes from red (Firewall and VirusScan enabled) to black and when I hover the mouse pointer over this icon I get the following info 'VirusScan disabled'.

It is NO problem to go back to the McAfee Security Center and enable it again but it is nevertheless annoying and I don't know what the cause is?
Does anybody else get this problem on boot-up?
I have tried System Restore and uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling VirusScan 8 again but I keep getting the same error!

CurlyWhirly 15:08 07 Nov 04

p.s. This only happened for the first time just over an hour ago and I didn't want to post on this Forum as I was hoping that the problem would go away!
I have also been to the McAfee website and had dialogue with a McAfee Chat Agent (24 hour service if you are wondering how I could do this on a sunday! click here) and the only advise he could give was to reinstall which I have already done.

CurlyWhirly 15:21 07 Nov 04

Finally I have just been to ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS > SERVICES and I have noticed that the 'McAfee Security Center Update Manager' is on MANUAL even though I set it to AUTOMATIC, it still keeps reverting back to MANUAL on the next boot up.

Also when the above error comes about the service is NOT running.
The other 3 McAfee services are ALL on automatic after a reboot, namely, McAfee Personal Firewall Service, McAfee.com McShield & McAfee.Com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine

CurlyWhirly 18:53 07 Nov 04

Surely there is someone who runs McAfee VirusScan 8 and has the same problem as me?
bump

CurlyWhirly 19:49 07 Nov 04

I have uninstalled it and run a registry 'fix' from McAfee that get's rid of ALL registry 'leftovers' and since reinstalling it it is working fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…