McAfee Virus update problems

CurlyWhirly 22:56 17 Sep 04

I have recently discovered a problem with my McAfee VirusScan 8 update feature.
When I go to McAfee Security Center > Updates > Check now > Update all that happens is the website page 'clicks' and refreshes like mad with no progress on the Internet Explorer progress bar and if I click on Cancel then AOL 9 crashes with a 'Not responding' error message.

I have been to the Chat option on the McAfee website and I was told to reinstall VirusScan 8 again which I have done but I still have the same problem.
I don't think it is anything to do with installing Service Pack 2 as the update feature worked okay for the first week of installing it.
Also as it says that if you leave Pop-up blockers on it may cause problems I have disabled the SP2 and AOL's custom pop-up blockers but this makes no difference.
Does anyone else get the same problem as me?
CW

CurlyWhirly 23:39 17 Sep 04

I think I am right in saying that I read a post in this forum saying that you use McAfee VirusScan?
If so can I just check with you that the latest virus definitions are dated 16.9.2004 and are DAT version 4.0.4392?
When I click on the Updates icon that is when I have the above problem!
I am just wondering whether it is a bug or not?
CW

CurlyWhirly 17:04 18 Sep 04

Resolved. Just to let people know what happened I ran a Virus Scan and it found a virus and this was the cause of me not being able to update!
Where I got this virus from I don't know never mind everything working okay now.
CW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…