McAfee Virus Scan

Riccall One 10:56 26 Dec 05

I am running Windows 98 and whenever I try to do a McAfee Virus Scan the programme will work to a certain stage and then the computer re-starts. I have tried stopping the scan and deleating what ever has come up so far. But I am unable to do a full scan in one go. Has any one any suggestions please.

igk 13:34 26 Dec 05

Reeboot get into safe mode (F5 or F8)on post and try to scan again...

Riccall One 13:40 26 Dec 05

Thanks ign I have tried that in the past and the same think happens.

cable-ties 13:42 26 Dec 05

i also run win 98 and had mcafee security suite installed after being assured it would be ok. my p.c. went nuts and i had to get local shop to sort it out. the nice man said it dont work with most 98 users and i should never listen to anyone from pc world again

VoG II 17:04 26 Dec 05

According to the system requirements click here# it should run on Windows 98.

Try an online scan click here

Riccall One 20:24 26 Dec 05

Thanks VoG. when I first bought it some 3 years ago it work OK and for some reason over the past three months I have been unable to do a full scan without the PC re-starting. I will try your second on line one and see how I go with that.

Riccall One 21:52 28 Dec 05

Sorry for delay in getting back VoG I had trouble with broadband keeping connected. I ran the on line scan as you suggested but the same thing happened after it had deteced quite a number of items. If I do a selected start up do you think that would help.

VoG II 21:54 28 Dec 05

Try running Ewido click here

When installing, under "Additional Options" untick..

- Install background guard

- Install scan via context menu

Launch $Ewido, by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.

The program will now open to the main screen.

You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click Update. Then click on Start Update.

Click on Scanner then Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. You will be prompted to clean the first infection. Select "Perform action on all infections", then proceed.

Skyver 21:55 28 Dec 05

Have you checked your HD for errors lately?
Startmenu/run, type `scandisk /surface` for a thorough check.

Riccall One 22:10 28 Dec 05

Thanks Vog I have had a look at Ewido it shows for Windows 2000 & XP I am on Windows 98 will it still work?

VoG II 22:16 28 Dec 05

Sorry, no I don't think it will.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…