mcafee virus advice for novice

mikeyboy32 19:50 07 May 08

hi, i have had mcafee security centre on my pc since i've had it (my dell pc came with it couple of years back). but for the next 12months they are charging £39.99 for it! and my current one runs out in a few weeks time.
obviously i feel this is a rip off but i'm used to using mcafee virus scan now so wouldnt mind keeping it.
i've noticed certain places online and ebay etc sell 12months mcafee virus scan a lot cheaper.

the question i'd like answered is this -
if i buy a mcafee virus scan 2008 from somewhere else will it conflict with my current version on my pc? do i need to delete my current version and then install my new one from scratch or can i just update my current mcafee already on my pc?

or maybe is it worth getting a totally new (free maybe?) type of anti virus?

advice is very welcome
thanks in advance.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:29 07 May 08

Don't faff about, dump MacAffee and install AVG free from click here It is free, recommended by many here and uses less resources. End of story.

G

skidzy 20:50 07 May 08

click here
though do use the Mcafee removal tool click here before installing a new AV.

mikeyboy32 20:55 07 May 08

thanks for the advice. reckon i may go with that free anti virus then.seems a few people mention that one on the net.will make sure mcafee is removed also.
thanks.

big bloke66 20:56 07 May 08

If you do decide to keep mcafee, it is best to uninstall the old version first.click here
However as GANDALF <|:-)> says Avg is a very good free antivirus.
its just down to personal choice, i use mcafee and have done so for 4 years now.
even when there are free programes out there.
hth.
bb66.

birdface 10:02 08 May 08

Not sure if this is still on offer.click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…