McAfee SiteAdvisor and Outlook Express

br1anstorm 22:51 20 Dec 07

I post this info in case it is helpful to others. The Sept 07 updated version of McAfee SiteAdvisor can seriously interfere with Outlook Express. If you have SA, and a problem with OE, the only solution is to uninstall SiteAdvisor.

The symptoms are that OE 'locks up': during an OE session, Inbox emails can't be deleted, and when you try to open further emails, a window pops up saying "Message cannot be displayed - OE encountered a problem... please check for low memory/disk space...". And when opening other OE folders, it appears that they are empty. Closing OE and restarting is only a temporary solution.

There is extensive discussion on the Microsoft Community and McAfee forums. The problem is that SA somehow overloads OE (Task Manager shows a huge increase in the "handles" stats). This may be linked with the similar memory overload in IE7 mentioned in this thread click here .

Anyhow, since McAfee hasn't yet gripped the problem, the only options at present are to uninstall SA, or give up using OE.

Hope this helps anyone who is suffering the OE problem but doesn't know the cause...

br1anstorm

VoG II 23:17 20 Dec 07

Clearly this is not universal as I don't have the problem. But thanks for the heads-up.

br1anstorm 23:29 20 Dec 07

I didn't want to get into the nitty-gritty detail of the "OE problem" - but I should have said that it tends to show up if you have a lot of emails sitting in your OE inbox, and/or if you keep OE open and look at, or scroll through, a lot of emails. Especially if your messages have lots of HTML links in them, this pushes up the "handles" count, and it is only when this reaches the ceiling (and the CPU is up close to 100%) that OE starts to seize up.

So if you regularly delete or archive emails, keep OE tidy, and don't leave OE open for too long, the load doesn't reach the critical point and you don't realise there's a (potential) problem.

For full details, see the discussion on the MS newsgroup here click here

br1anstorm

Stuartli 23:57 20 Dec 07

Well I've not had that problem even with the combination you mention.

six-h 00:47 21 Dec 07

Am I right in thinking that SA updates automatically, and that I would therefore have said update? 'cos I'm not experiencing any problems......so far!

br1anstorm 11:34 15 Jan 08

Just to update any readers - it seems that the latest version (or update) of McAfee Site Advisor (mid-December 2007) has solved the problem. The latest build doesn't interfere with Outlook Express or overload the memory.

br1anstorm

Stuartli 12:11 15 Jan 08

SA doesn't update automatically - what you are probably confusing it with is SA's ability to download the correct version for the browser in use at the time.

So you need to either download each separately or, alternatively, to use each browser in turn for the download (there are two versions).

I have both versions for use with Firefox and IE7 - neither has ever had any effect on my use of Outlook Express.

six-h 22:03 21 Jan 08

see the SA download site: - click here
Both free and paid versions self update...:-)

Stuartli 23:30 21 Jan 08

I use both Firefox and IE7 versions of SA and neither offer the means to self update in the Settings...:-)

six-h 00:20 22 Jan 08

Agreed, That's what made me panic a bit, since I rely quite heavily on SA, so I posted the query on their help forum.
It was they who pointed me at the d/l site, and lo it proclaims that both versions (Free and paid) are self updating!
Phew!!

pac73 03:23 22 Jan 08

Ive never had a problem with them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…