McAfee Shredder issues

smy13 10:52 29 Dec 04

Hi All

I'm having a problem running the shedder utility on McAfee security suite 2004. Every time I try to shred unused disc space it seems to take for ever e.g. It still had not completed after running for 8 hours in fact it was showing only about 50% completed. After stopping it using task manager and rebooting my desktop then hanged on the XP home start up screen. Eventually I've have to reboot using Last know good configuration

Any Idea’s??
I'm running XP home with 512mb Ram, 2.5 GHz Pentium 4, and an 80GB hard drive

smy13 19:36 29 Dec 04

Help please !!!!!

rawprawn 20:33 29 Dec 04

Most programs that "Wipe Free Space" take a long time. Make sure it is set to the "Fastest Wipe" If you interupt it it will only partially have completed and that can make life difficult (I know from experience) I have never used Mcafee so I don't know how long it should take and the problem now is it will have overwritten part of your hard disc but not cleared the temp files it made.I suggest first Defrag and see if that helps and if not then overwrite with a different program, I use "Clean Disc security" it is not free but I think that you can get a free trial. Whatever you use set it to the simplest wipe (1 Pass)unless you are hiding the crown jewels.

rawprawn 20:55 29 Dec 04
  smy13 00:16 30 Dec 04

Cheers
i'll do that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…