mcafee security suite

iqs 14:33 21 Feb 04

hi

mcafee firewall for £39.00/mcafee antivirus £39.00.....mcafee security suite for £10 ?.this includes both .
my question.is the secuity suite full versions of the above.if so how come its so cheap.and how do you rate the product/s.
best regards
iqs

Belatucadrus 14:40 21 Feb 04

I'm not a huge McAfee fan, I've ended up removing almost everything I've ever had of theirs. If you're looking for a combined package check out click here Microsoft and e-trust have got together a deal and you can have the package for a year FOC.

Help! :D 14:50 21 Feb 04

McAfee is brilliant! almost all major companys use it including Airbus and MoD. I think your like it, and they are the market leader for antivirus progs

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:56 21 Feb 04

In all truth there is no point paying for AV and/or firewall suites for home computers. ANY firewall Will do an excellent job as home computers are never targeted by hackers (in spite of what 'some' companies may lead you to believe). geta free AV such as AVG (click here) and a free firewall such as Outpost (click here) and you will be more than protected. I have an update mailing list of 50 people that use AVG and all are well pleased. Anyone, on a home computer, that pays for AVs or firewalls needs their bumps feeling. ;-)))

'McAfee....they are the market leader for antivirus progs'...linkage for this rather sweeping statement?

Put the money saved to an external HD or pen drive.

G

iqs 21:11 21 Feb 04

a big thankyou to you all.everybody has a different opinion on internet secutity.to buy or not to buy....free download ?.
i will visit the web sites for all the products mentioned then decided.decisions are never easy.
thanks and case closed.

cheers
iqs

Help! :D 22:12 22 Feb 04

GANDALF <|:-)>,
so wwhat, i was just telling some one who wanted advice. To some people that could up the confidence. And yeah 'In all truth there is no point paying for AV and/or firewall suites for home computers. ' So why do people still buy them, because they are worth it!!!!

goodluck iqs

Jester2K 22:21 22 Feb 04

"So why do people still buy them, because they are worth it!!!! "

Or because they don't know there is an equal or even better product to be had for free and legally. I've dealt with all sorts of PCs and advised on Anti Virus products. I've removed McAfee, Symantec and PCCillin products from PCs and replaced each with AVG 6 Free Edition. Never ever had a complain after that.

I've also watched McAfee fail to detect the MSBlaster worm time after time after time - even when i can see it with my own eyes. Although it picked it up on the Full System Scan it failed to detect the virus come in again or start up with the PC on boot up. Shocking behaviour - and yes it was fully up to date.

The Spires 22:24 22 Feb 04

I bought NOD 32, & outpost, I think I am still reasonably sane.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:36 22 Feb 04

'So why do people still buy them, because they are worth it!!!!'...I have 50+ people on my AVG update mailing list and with not one complaint. Can you show a similar survey, methinks you know not what you talk about. The free edition of Outpost will be as effective as any firewall, especially as there is no chance of a home computer being hacked. FYI, I have not used a firewall for over a year. ;-))))

'So why do people still buy them, because they are worth it!!!!'...people buy Versace jeans....so they must be worth it...*eyes raise*

G

Belatucadrus 00:22 23 Feb 04

Why do people buy them ? in the cases of the quoted examples Airbus and MoD because being commercial concerns they have to, the free licence applies only to non profit home use. With five free options currently available, Avast, AVG, Antivir, BitDefender and EZ-armor the home user isn't even pushed for choice as to what free AV package they install.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:28 23 Feb 04

'in the cases of the quoted examples Airbus and MoD because being commercial concerns they have to,'...this is a forum for home users; I do realise that large companies have a totally different set of problems and stand a reasonble chance of being hacked as they tend to use passwords. All my comments about AVs and firewalls esp., are usually aimed at home use. I would say that 5 free options (all of which work well) are more than excellent choices.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…