McAfee Security Centre

Shorty 22:01 08 Feb 04

I recently installed McAfee Spamkiller, and also it seems McAfee Security Centre (didn't really want it but hey, it was free). When I installed them I chose the options to only update the apps when I asked them to, and even had to reconfirm this when the apps were installed. However every time I switch on the PC, and then every 10 minutes or so I get the dial-up request to go on-line. When I do go online I use my Firewall to see what is communicating and find it is Mcafee Security Centre.

I used the system configuration manager to stop Security centre running at startup, and there was also an entry for MCupdate.exe which I stopped running. This worked for the time the PC was switched on, but next time I booted it started again, and when I went into Sys config manager, another entry had appeard for MCupdate.exe - how can this happening?

I have Mcafee Internet Security v5 (incl Viruscan v7 etc.). I run Windows me if that makes any difference.

Please can any of you good people give me a clue.

VoG II 22:16 08 Feb 04

Start, Run, type in

msconfig

and click OK.

On the Startup tab, untick mcupdate.exe then keep clicking OK to exit. Reboot to check that it has worked.

Don't untick any other McAfee programs or you won't be protected.

VoG II 22:18 08 Feb 04

P.S. once you have done this you need to check "manually" for updates frequently (i.e. daily - yes I mean daily).

Shorty 17:25 09 Feb 04

I did what you suggested, and rebooted, but another entry for mcupdate.exe has appeared listed under the startup tab of msconfig. Just above this entry is the unchecked entry that i unchecked just before. It seems to spawn itself. I already have Internet Security which provides a way of updating itself plus Firewall, Viruscan, Shredder, etc, so do I really need Security centre as well, it seems a bit of a duplication.

I do check frequently for udpates of Viruscan using instant updater anyway.

Jonathan314159 17:48 09 Feb 04

I had the same experience, and for other reasons have taken all the McAffee stuff off the system.

McAffee Security Centre seemed to be pointless - ie it delayed the start-up while it went through its motions, and then proudly informed me that i didnt have McAffee virus software, firewall or utility suite, but did have Spamkiller. Which I knew already!

To cut a long story short, the way that I understood it, the internet connection was for the Spamkiller itself - so it could run off and check your email accounts and find out which bits were spam. It can't wait until you dial up to check your mail, since that is too late.

Shorty 09:53 10 Feb 04

Jonathan - Security centre thinks I have Mcafee products except Firewall for some reason (and Mcafee Firewall it certainly is!).

I think what I may try is uninstalling just Security Centre and see what happens.

I have set everything else to manual updates, and the constant prompting to dial up only happened after I installed Spamkiller/Security Centre. So far Spamkiller seems to work very well.

Shorty 15:34 18 Feb 04

After doing all of the above, the connection box was still popping up every few minutes. I decided to contact McAfee customer support, and they have told me the only way to stop it is to select 'never dial a connection' in internet explorer. There must be a glitch in their software as this doesn't cure the root-cause but it does stop the box popping up.

ps. I used the online 'have a chat with a mcafee support agent' option and this worked really well and the answer time was almost immediate, so well done McAfee for this at least.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…