McAfee Security Center won't activate

xquest 22:04 09 Apr 08

My neighbour has renewed his sub for McAfee Security Center and the renewal date is displayed correctly. However neither the antivirus nor firewall facilities are active. Clicking on 'fix' merely invites him to download the software yet again, to no effect. Any ideas ?

big bloke66 22:30 09 Apr 08

Has he tried their help forums ?.click here

birdface 08:13 10 Apr 08

Or uninstall it using the removal tool.click here reboot then install it again.

xquest 09:44 10 Apr 08

Thanks folks, I'll work on these ideas. We have in fact been emailing the support people at McAfee and they did manage to get my friends renewal recognised ie it now expires next February. However they have now referred us to their technical support for further help and there is an email outstanding.
Meanwhile we'll try a proper uninstall etc.
(I thought I'd plumbed the depths trying to renew my Norton sub a year ago and ended up getting my money back and installing AVAST and COMODO firewall, and now it seems that McAfee is just as bad !).
I'll keep you informed - eventually.

xquest 18:25 10 Apr 08

Further to the above postings, McAfee technical people responded similarly to the above:
1. Download the McAfee MCPR tool and completely remove McAfee Internet Security.
2. Delete temp files.
3. Delete cookies.
4. Download the required McAfee program from their site, and install it.
5. NB. ensure that you have the following files installed: MSMX 3.0, MSXML 4.0, .NET Framework 1.1

Having done steps 1 to 4 with no joy we then found MSMX 3.0 was missing. We loaded it, and re-ran steps 2 - 4, and all was well.
I guess that when Dell pre-loaded McAfee the version of Security Center didn't require MSMX 3.0 but apparently the 2007-2008 version does.
So anyone doing all this - check item 5 first !
If anyone wants the detailed emails from McAfee send me an email and I'll forward them.
Thanks again, xquest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017