McAfee Security Center - How much ?

Audisportt 19:36 07 May 07

Have been invited to renew McAfee subscription which came as part of Dell package when new however they want £ 50 for 12mths or £ 85.00 for 24 mths.

I do like the dashboard provided with McAfee which gives traffic light status re protection however I feel the renewal fee is exhorbitant. Also McAfee makes the computer really slow.

We use our computer for internet banking and need to be sure we are safe - should we renew or are there better priced (or free) packages we should consider ? Appreciate wise words from the experienced users out there. Many thanks.

Andy C

SANTOS7 19:39 07 May 07

click here

click here

AVG and AVAST are both free and come highly recommended by most users on this forum...

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:48 07 May 07

Use AVG free and Spyware terminator click here and you will be well safe for de nada. The chances of a home computer being hacked AND your bank account details being nabbed are the same as winning the Lotto. There are much, much easier ways to get personal account details and most banking sites have random security questions to enable access. There is no need for the home user to pay for any protection.

G

cocteau48 19:59 07 May 07

My machine came with McAfee free for 90 days and being totally green at that time I followed it up by buying the Security Suite for the next 12 months.
Biggest mistake I ever made - overbloated - resource hungry - and prone to all sorts of problems if you ever did a system restore. Spent hours reinstalling parts of the suite because it had apparently lost some active X controls - which it did regularly.
Replaced it with AVG Free and Zone Alarm Free (anti virus and firewall)and have never had a moments problem with either.
Spamkiller is built into my email client and I do not need a Privacy Suite function. I do use McAfee's site advisor which is also free.
If you are intent on the McAfee package you can normally pick it up at half price from one of the major retailers.

kdt 21:16 07 May 07

I had McAfee for 2 years through AOL @ 2.49 per month. Recently cancelled & now use Avast on desktop & 2 laptops. Quite good with automatic updates.

skidzy 21:21 07 May 07

My Dell Inspiron came preinstalled with Mcafee for 15 months,after several problems with the privacy and Firewall functions i uninstalled the program.

Now all my machines run on free software and no problems to date,some advice here click here

Totally-braindead 21:23 07 May 07

If you want to keep McAfee then I would suggest that price is a complete rip off click here and thats only one example I'm sure if you look about you could get it cheaper.

Personally I use AVG free and a couple of free antispyware programs and it keeps me safe. Don't feel the need to pay but its up to you.

FatboySlim71 21:32 07 May 07

I use Avast anti virus and Comodo firewall, IMO they are a winning combination and you would struggle to find any better software either free or paid for IMO.

click here

click here

wishtobwireless 21:42 07 May 07

and after a week disabled it and installed AVG for free. Its easy to use and perfectly adequate. It just works in the background without you really having to do a thing.... McAfee don't pay for it....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac