McAfee + other programs

Gem 10:02 04 Feb 06

Hi all,

I know that there are many threads talking about Anti Virus programs, but none seem to really answer my question. So, here goes:

I have recently installed McAfee Internet Security Suite, as an attempt to better myself, after years of being annoyed by Norton IS (I run Win ME).

The problem I have now is that I get all the pop-ups again (no blocker). I am by no means a computer buff, so hate trying things out just to see how they work, because knowing my luck, it'll all going to go wrong, and then I won't know how to fix things.

I am now looking for a free pop-up blocker, which will work with McAfee, hopefully without having to change any settings.

Do you have any recommendations for programs that are easy to install and work with?

I also don't know whether to install McAfee on my husband's lap-top (XP), or use another (free) program. Any recommendations on this one?

Thank you so much for all your help!!! :o)

VoG II 10:05 04 Feb 06

Google toolbar has a pop-up blocker click here

Free anti-virus click here

rawprawn 10:40 04 Feb 06

click here I am very pleased with this one

mike1967 10:56 04 Feb 06

You dont need a pop up blocker use firefox, also Mcafee is a gd product maybe it needs configuring correctly, tell me what pop ups you getting may be able to help

Totally-braindead 10:57 04 Feb 06

I used this when I had Win98 and found it good click here

smy13 11:10 04 Feb 06

Your MaAfee Security suite should be able to do this for you
access your "security centre"
go to "Privacy Service"
sign in as administrator ( or any account that has full Access)
Go to the "Options" tab down the side
once in the options screen open the "Block Ads" tab across the top
Make sure the boxes "Block Ads on the computer" & Block Pop ups on this computer" are both enabled this should sort it out for you

Gem 11:17 04 Feb 06

Well,

mike1967 and smy13,

I have done what you suggested, and I hope it'll work now.

I guess I'd hoped that McAfee would magically do everything I'd want it to do. hahaha Hey, I never said I was good at computer stuff. :o)

Thanks for your help.

smy13 11:23 04 Feb 06

You will be able to run the same copy of Mcafee on 2 PC's although you would be infringing the licence agreement so I wouldn't recommend it. The two free products that are always recommended in the forums are
AVG for virus protection click here
and Zone Alarms for your fire wall click here
You might also want to add Spy/Mal-ware scanners to both PCs, i know from bitter experience that McAfee's not the sharpest pencil on the box when it comes to detecting these
again the two most talked about here are
click here (Ewido) This will give you active scanning for a trail period, then you will be able to use it a a passive scanner (you have to start the scan your self ) it's free
click here
(Microsoft Spyware beta) again totally free

hope this helps

Gem 11:43 04 Feb 06

You are a star smy13. :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…