McAfee or stay with what I have...?

Pepper9 13:09 09 Dec 08

I have just moved to O2 BB and have been "given" McAfee Security Centre for the time I will be with O2.

I currently use Avast, Comodo Firewall, Adaware, Spyware Blaster and Spybot - should I ditch these in favour of McAfee, or some of them, or none of them?

Your comments and advice would be gratefully received.

thanks

iscanut 13:23 09 Dec 08

Nothing wrong with McAfee but it will not be free if you move from O2. The other ones you have are free and will do the job for you. Give McAfee a go and see what you think but if you do, uninstall the other firewalls ans Anti Virus for the time being. You can always reinstall them if or when you remove McAfee.

CLONNEN 13:29 09 Dec 08

If you are perfectly happy with your existing security programs don't bother with the McAfee program you have been given.

Let sleeping dogs lie.

Changing security programs can often lead to system conflicts.

Pine Man 13:48 09 Dec 08

When I changed to O2 I dumped everything except SpywareBlaster and loaded McAfee.

If I had known how good it was before I would willingly have paid for it!! (Well maybe that's a bit strong but it is good)

bjh 17:13 09 Dec 08

I use McAfee on three computers (also Kaspersky, which I prefer, but...) and it is really quite good. I still use Spyware Blaster and Spybot, (and am growing to love Malwarebytes(!) I have used Avast for my sister's computer, and quite like that as well.

So, personally, I'd switch to McAfee. It is a pretty good all-in-one product, and is easy to use. You'll be with O2 for a while - they are a good ISP, so it may be a long time. Your spyware apps will still run just fine with McAfee, so you'll get the best of all worlds.

I am very keen on ease of use for security products - it makes for continued use and understanding of what it is up to.

Avast is good but (at the risk of getting shot down by the "why pay when XXX is free" brigade) McAfee is better. AND in your case, it IS free!!!

So, as a user of those products, I'd switch!

Pepper9 17:24 09 Dec 08

Thanks all for your input .... however..

I have just found out (by phoning O2) that McAfee will only run with free downoads and updates if you use the O2 router that they send you. If you use your own router (and I am using a Netgear) you can install McAfee manually but then you do not get access to free updates. So looks like I'll have to stay with the "freebies".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant