McAfee or Norton?

ptrafc 17:27 17 Feb 04

Which is the most preferred, McAfee's internet security or Norton's? Both contain the same/similar features (anti-virus, firewall etc), but is one any better than the other?
Also, why do places such as PC World intend on trying to sell us a 2 pack bundle of say, Norton Anti-virus and firewall for the same price as buying one box containing these exact same utilities plus more??? Do they really think we're that thick??
Thanx for any replies.

©®@$? 17:33 17 Feb 04

well i had norton 2004 pro installed and updated before, said system was clean,

installed mcafee and it found 4 keyloggers

you guessed it, i've ditched norton now for mcafee

Indigo 1 17:36 17 Feb 04

IMHO for what it's worth, both are as bad as each other! You would be much better off with AVG free edition click here And Zone Alarm click here not free but much cheaper than McCaffee and Norton, there are plenty of free firewalls which are easily as good as MC and Nort.

As far as PC World advice, forget it!

Diodorus Siculus 17:50 17 Feb 04

There are many free alternatives; I used Norton for years, but gave up a couple of years ago when I tried a freeware computing experiment and found that there are many options available.

I use Mailwasher to deal with Spam, Avast to deal with virus protection and Sygate is my firewall.

There are also a similar number of programs out there to deal with system problems such as those which Norton dealt with.

Matt45 18:21 17 Feb 04

I personally like McAfee best although the splash screen displayed when you start your computer telling you that you have both AntiVirus and Firewall protection but not Spam protection just wastes time at PC startup. Still it is a very good program and the GUI is great.

romanab 18:34 17 Feb 04

I believe in most av tests McAfee beats norton hands down,but top off the pile are kaspersky labs and f-secure 2004(which includes a firewall)although you will have to pay for them

obbit 18:37 17 Feb 04

zone alarm and AVG are execellent. spend the money on something else.

Mike ® 18:59 17 Feb 04

Nod32 anti-virus click here not free but excellent.

Gaz 25 20:08 17 Feb 04

Try panda internet security platinum 2004: click here

spuds 20:49 17 Feb 04

I agree with many other's. Why buy when you can get a well recommended equivilent for free. AVG and ZoneAlarm work great, and so do many of the spywares on free offer.

marilynbell 22:17 17 Feb 04

I've installed Trend Micro Pc cillin it had a firewall,spam killer,spyware and anti virus, they updates are fast and furious and if there is any news of a new virus you get an outbreak warning telling you about it and to update immediately, I had one tonight about a worm called bagel b

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…