McAfee Anti-virus

Newuser2193 12:17 20 Mar 04

I have a friend who has just intstalled McAfee Anti-virus on her Windows ME system. Since intalling this, her system keeps trying to connect to the Internet and we cannot determine which program it is. She is sure that this stems from the time she installed the Anti-Virus program. Her virus definitions are fully up to date, and a virus scan reveals no viruses. She is also running Zone Alarm firewall. Can anyone help?

Eric10 18:18 20 Mar 04

It's probably McAfee trying to check for updates. You say that the virus definitions are up to date but the program won't know if it has the latest definitions unless it can connect to McAfee's website to see if anything newer is available. New definitions are being released almost every day now. Commercial antivirus programs also check to see if your subscription is current for updates.

I don't use McAfee but if you want to take charge of getting your own updates there will probably be an option to turn off automatic updates but I do not recommend this as it's all too easy to forget.

Newuser2193 20:52 20 Mar 04

Thank you for your reply. We had tried connecting to McAfee's website and it said the definitions were up to date. We have now tried reinstalling McAfee Anti-virus and ran updates, and up to now we have not encountered the problem again.

Newuser2193 22:49 21 Mar 04

After restarting today the problem has reoccurred. Even after de-selecting manual updates in the McAfee program, something still tries to connect to the Internet every few minutes. To try a manual update, we get the message 'you have the latest updates '. After this the problem does not reappear for several hours and then does reappear. Is it possible that there is a conflict with Zonealarm?

VoG II 22:53 21 Mar 04

No it is simply McAfee checking for updates - it has no other way to do this than to try connecting to the McAfee website.

gold 47 22:55 21 Mar 04

There could be a software update available not just a virus update.

Newuser2193 23:54 21 Mar 04

Can you explain how we can stop McAfee looking for software updates?

Boluwd 00:01 22 Mar 04

Use Zone Alarm to identify which program is trying to access the internet, it is probably McAfee's Instant Updater (RuLaunch.exe).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…