mcafee activeshield causes blue screen on startup

alstewart9 12:54 15 Jan 05

I've recently purchased mcafee virusscan v9, when the time came to restart to complete installation, windows got part way through booting up, then I get a blue screen with a stop error message rdr_system_file. I tried to load a few times, to no avail (it always blue screened at the same point), so I started in safe mode which was fine, started mcafee, which completed the installation, ran the virus scan (frightening!). In order to get the computer to work again, I disabled running activeshield on startup, now it boots fine. Through a little reading around I got the impression the reason for this is that one or more of my drivers is out of date. I used a free prog to check this and apparently half a dozen are "BAD". I do have the option to pay for all drivers to be updated, but I'm a bit loathed to pay money for something I can do myself(?) I've had a look around on the net to update the drivers myself, but it seems to be a bit of a minefield, especially when I'm not entirely sure that this is the problem!
If anyone can offer any advice it would be much appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 13:34 15 Jan 05

What drivers need updating? Go to (printer drivers, cdrom drivers, modem drivers, sound drivers, mouse drivers, monitor drivers, etc.) -
click here

alstewart9 13:45 15 Jan 05

The report highlighted 6 "BAD" driversfor the following:

...Creative Sound blaster PCI512

...Intel(r) 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

...Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

...USB Mass Storage Device

...FinePix Digital Camera 020815

...SNAPSCAN e25 (Updated this one)

Diodorus Siculus 14:05 15 Jan 05

Creative Sound blaster PCI512 - try creative website

next two: probaly motherboard drivers can be updated - check with mobo manufacturer.

.USB Mass Storage Device - if it works, leave it. Should be ok. (pendrive, digicamera?)

FinePix Digital Camera 020815 - should be ok too unless you want to update the drivers.

alstewart9 14:26 15 Jan 05

Had a look at driverguide, the soundblaster update wouldn't work, an error caused one of the files to close. Tried it twice, same thing!

Struggling to find the right Intel drivers on the website, don't know if I want to download one that 'might' be it?! Especially when I'm not entirely sure if this is the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…